Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Remembering Bapu



It was March 12th, 1930 and the Sun had just raised its head, lighting up the entire Sabarmati Ashram in Gujarat. All the Satyagrahi’s were waiting for Bapu’s darshan and were gearing up to accompany him to Dandi, a small coastal village. On this day, Mahatma Gandhi and his followers (approx. 78 of them), started their journey from here to the coastal village, 235-240 miles away, to break the salt law. This journey of Mahatma with his followers was termed as the famous Dandi March.

Today…

I had an opportunity to visit this ashram during one of my short trips to Ahmedabad. I was really thrilled to see this name plate on the cottage wherein Bapu had spent his time in this ashram probably during 1917 to 1932. The place has been well preserved by the government. There is a museum attached which presents the life story of Bapu through pictures, drawings, writings and audio-visual programs. The place is definitely a visual treat. I enjoyed every bit of it. I was even more thrilled to see a small placard on the wall which actually listed the names of all the people who accompanied Gandhi on his Dandi March.

I came out of the museum and within few steps I found myself on the banks of Sabarmati River. The flow wasn’t all that great in the river but definitely she has witnessed all the events in this place. I felt that the river was telling me” I want to spend as much time as possible in this piece of land. Hence I don’t rush”. I stood there for couple of minutes thinking of the past with my eyes shut. Probably, 70-80 years back, this place must have been crowded with people who would have come from nook and corner to get a darshan of Mahatma and to participate in his regular prayers and meetings. Only one voice would have been echoing “Vande Matram”. When I opened my eyes, I could only find small squirrels running in the garden, school kids playing seven stones and tourists with their cameras. A thin streak of chill ran through my spine. It shook my body. The place will definitely remain in my memory.


“Truth (Satya) implies Love, and Firmness (Agraha) engenders and therefore serves as a synonym for force… that is to say, the Force which is born of Truth and Love or Non-violence… [If] we are Satyagrahis and offer Satyagraha, believing ourselves to be strong… we grow stronger and stronger everyday. With our increase in strength, our Satyagraha too becomes more effective, and we would never be casting about for an opportunity to give it us” - Mahatma Gandhi

3 comments:

Anu said...

An inspiring personality indeed! You seem to have put your heart into your writing. :)

Anonymous said...

very nicely put, espescially the one on sabarmathi.

Krishnakumar said...

@Anu: Thanks, for that comment
@Rajesh: Thanks, buddy!
@Arivan: Thanks, for visiting the blog!